In the movie, The Wizard of Oz, the adorable black Cairn Terrier canine actor, who was in fact, a female ~ and whose real name was Terry ~ played Toto, a male. Terry appeared in many movies, The Wizard of Oz, being her most famous.
Dorothy and Toto are an iconic duo.
Dorothy and Toto on the set of The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Fun Facts about Toto
- Toto (Terry) made $125.00 a week, the equivalent of over $2,000.00 per week today.
- Toto (Terry) was stepped on during the filming and was out of commission for a few weeks before returning to the set.
- Judy Garland fell in love with Terry and wanted to adopt her, but her request was refused by Terry’s owner and trainer, Carl Spitz.
- After her immortal role as Toto, Terry appeared in a half-dozen other films.
- In 1942, three years after The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland, Terry‘s name was officially changed to Toto.
Terry died in 1945 at the age of 13.